Know your audience.
Have a plan & post consistently.
Analyze your competitor’s website and SEO strategy.
You can use:
- SpyFu: This will give you an insight into keywords and AdWords that competitors are buying
- Google Trends: You can stay on top of trends in the industry, and compare your company to others.
- Google Alerts: You can set alerts for your company to find out who is talking about you and set up alerts on your competitors.
SEO is one of the easiest areas of competitive marketing analysis as you are able to use many tools to examine your website and where it falls with others.
Analyze competitor’s content marketing strategy
- Content type: Website copy, blogs, forums, eBooks, downloadable assets, and so on. What is popular with your market?
- Publication frequency: Similarly to social media, it’s a good idea to look at how often your competitors publish content, create free resources, and so on. You may subscribe to their newsletter to find out their schedule. Strategic publishing is always a good call.
- Quality: Have a look to see if the content is sloppy and rushed or if it is well-researched and thought-out.
- Relevance: If your competitors create content that is industry related and is trending, you’ll know that you have to step up your game.
- Audience: You may find that their subscriber base is freely shared. This can be vital to competitive marketing analysis, as you share an audience and you want to position yourself to have the most popular and relevant content.